Would a trophy from the oldest and most prestigious award program in special events look good in your office? Of course it would! Then it’s time for you to enter the 2018 Special Events Gala Awards competition. Now in its 32nd year, the Gala Award honors the finest work in special events worldwide.
Here are answers for all your questions:
1. What events are eligible?
This year's competition is open to events that have taken place between Sept. 1, 2016, and Aug. 31, 2017. Events that place after Aug. 31 may be entered in next year's competition.
2. When are Gala entries due?
The regular deadline is Sept. 15 by 4 p.m. Pacific Time; the fee is $99. The special "late bird" deadline is Sept. 22 by 4 p.m. Pacific Time; the fee is $160. Joint entrants—that is, one entry credited to two companies—are $200; two trophies will be presented.
3. Can an event company from anywhere in the world enter the Gala Awards?
Yes! We are honored to receive entries from Europe, North and South America, the Middle East, etc.
4. I am entering the category “Best Achievement in Logistics.” Do I need to include a budget?
No! Only categories with a dollar figure in the title need to include a budget. So, if you are entering "Best Floral Design," you do not need to include a budget. But if you enter "Best Wedding: Budget Under $1,000 Per Guest," you do need to include a budget.
If you do need to include a budget, be sure the use the Gala Budget Template so that you include all the line items the judges are looking for. The judges realize that not all entries will require each line in the template, but try to follow the template as closely as you can.
5. How are you accepting entries this year?
Special Events has ditched its flip phone and Walkman; the process is now digital.
The entry process consists of two parts:
(1) An Entry Form that is emailed to [email protected]; see the link below to download the form.
(2) Your explanations, photos and payment, which are uploaded here: www.etouches.com/gala2018
6. As a Gala Award entrant, should I make sure to keep my company’s name out of the descriptions in the entry?
Yes! To ensure fairness, Gala Awards are anonymous. Be sure to double-check your documents and photos—they should not include your company name.
7. But what about my client's name—is it OK to have that name in the entry? (My client's name appears in decor, on signage, on the invitation, etc.)
Yes, it is OK if your client's name appears in the entry.
8. But I am an in-house event professional--I created the event for my own company. Is it OK that my company's name appears in the entry?
Yes, that's fine—the purpose of many special events is to emphasize a brand. And the judges don't know if the in-house event professional or an outsider creates the event. Just remember to avoid referring to yourself as an employee of the "client" company.
9. There is no way my client will give me a referral letter. Does this mean I cannot enter?
No, you still can! The Entry Form has places for you to list your client's name and contact information. As long as this is completely filled out, you do not need a Referral Letter too.
10. Can I get my Gala entry returned to me?
No. All Gala entries become property of Special Events.
11. How do I pay for my Gala entries?
All payments—credit card only—are made online at www.etouches.com/gala2018
You can make one payment for multiple entries.
12. When do I found out if I am nominated?
The nominees in each category will be notified by Nov. 24, 2017.
13. When are the Gala Awards presented?
They will be given to winners on Feb. 1, 2018, at The Special Event show in New Orleans. Winners need not be present.
14. Help, I still have questions! Whom can I contact for help?
You are welcome to email questions here.
Need an entry form? Both the Entry Form and Instructions are avilable for download--check click on the "download" link below.