Atlanta-based Six Continents Hotels announced today that it is eliminating all cancellation penalties and change fees at its company-managed and -owned hotels in the United States, Canada, and Mexico for customers who cancel or change a hotel stay on or before midnight on March 26. Also, the company said that it is “strongly encouraging all hotels within its system to adopt the same policy during this time of conflict.” This policy covers reservations for stays with an arrival date no later than April 3, the company said.
Six Continents Hotels owns the InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge Suites brands.
In order to avoid a cancellation penalty, guests must call the hotel. This policy does not apply to guests who do not show without canceling with the hotel beforehand, the company said.
"We have developed solid relationships with many of our guests over the years, and we want to ensure that we look after them during this troubled time," said Tom Seddon, senior vice president, brand strategy, for Six Continents Hotels--Americas. "Implementing a cancellation policy to waive fees is the right thing to do, and does not penalize our guests for events that are out of their control."
Earlier this year, the InterContinental brand eliminated all cancellation and attrition fees for meetings booked at InterContinental hotels in the U.S. and Canada between Feb. 1 and April 30 that are scheduled to take place through Dec. 31.
Six Continents also announced this week that it is extending its current government rate program to encompass military personnel's immediate family members in an effort for them to remain close before deployment or during leave. This special offer is effective immediately through Aug. 31 and is available at hotels where the government rate is currently available--across all Six Continents brands--in the U.S.